The game of luck, skill and of course money i.e ‘Poker’ has not lost its charm even today in the times of pandemic where it is important to maintain social distance. Poker which usually used to take room in casinos can now be played on internet as well. Where the poker still exists, onlinepokerhas also made its way in the world of gambling.
Onlinepoker came in the early nineties with the emergence of internet facilities. The first ever game with real money was played in January 1998, however it became a sensation in the recent decade as availability of internet was in abundance. PKV Games exploded only after the introduction of large and multi table tournaments.Online gambling market is expanding so fast that its value isbeing anticipated to be 94 billion US dollars in the next 4-5 years.
Difference between online poker and live poker
Although the basic idea and plot of both the sports remains same in both of them players bluff and bet there are still many significant differences, to start from one is the virtual game while other is live.
- Bet sizing: where there are different bet sizes placed in live poker there are fairly similar.
- Frequency of bad bets: it has been observed that frequency of bad bets is more online than it is in live game.
- Speed of the game: it is very obvious that virtual poker is way faster than the live one .
Benefits of online poker
- It is less expensive and can even be played for free.
- It can be played anytime, anywhere; the only requirement is availability of internet.
- Larger pick of tables are available as different sites offer different alternatives.
- As there is no catcalling and pressure it makes virtual poker comparatively less intimidating.
Drawbacks of online poker
- It can become an addiction for many as it has the capacity of being played anytime and more than one game can be played at a time.
- Since there is no physical presence of other players the analysis of body language to play the next move cannot be done.
- Can encourage a casual play which might lead to losses.
Today it is no more the game of only those playing with big money, it can also be played by those who have absolutely nothing take and earned freerolls by playing and give a head start to their game. Also in online poker one cannot lose more than they have deposited so it also ensures a safe and thoughtful play.